The Footwear Issue
Design Museum Magazine Issue 022
Learn about the process and future of footwear design.
Design Museum Magazine’s Summer 2022 issue is available for purchase. The Footwear Issue features nine in-depth pieces on the design of footwear, including significant moments in footwear history, the design process, and what the future of footwear looks like.
“Shoes are such a great subject to uncover and demystify design — they have utility and technology, style and energy.”
— Sam Aquillano, Letter from the Editor.
The Footwear Issue features:
- A photo essay of designers’ favorite projects, from a collection of footwear designers;
The story behind the S.E.E.D. school of footwear design by Cheresse Thornhill-Goldson, S.E.E.D. Design Director and Jessica Smith, S.E.E.D. Co-Founder;
- A history of key figures in footwear history by Stephen Opie, Principal, Opie Design;
A personal interview with Chris Dixon, Footwear Designer, Timberland, & Founder and Creative Director, Cnstnt:Dvlpmnt;
- A reflection on how the company MISE reinvented footwear for the culinary industry by Erik Hernandez, Founder, MISE;
- An in-depth look into the shoe design and development process by Susan Ryder, Owner, Susan Ryder Design;
- An article about how design consultants work to create meaningful products with Ann Williams, Creative Director – Product Design and Project Management, Schwilliamz, and Dean Schwartz, Co-Director, Schwilliamz;
- A peek into how Reebok created their product archive, and why other brands should, too, by Erin Narloch, Founder & Consultant, PastForward, Head of Web3, Enwoven;
- And a glimpse into the future of footwear and NFTs by Stephanie Howard & Bennet Collen, Co-founders, Endstate