I write this on the cusp of our biggest project ever at Design Museum Portland — it’s focused on something we care deeply about: play.
Yes, that’s me in the photo above, playing outside at age 4. And me again, playing outside at age 34. I was so lucky to have a childhood filled with outdoor play, imagination, and adventure. I know those experiences shaped me into the designer and entrepreneurial risk-taker I am today.
The world has changed but the importance of outdoor play hasn’t. That’s why we created our latest exhibition: Extraordinary Playscapes — you’re going to love it. It’s the culmination of 3 years of research and development. In true Design Museum fashion, we’re creating a city-wide celebration of design and play, with a world-class exhibition at PNCA’s new gallery as its hub. The exhibition received unanimous praise in Boston and I’m asking for your help to make it a big success in Portland.
We can’t do this work without you! Help us transform Portland, inspire creativity, and promote outdoor play, all by design. Please consider a gift to support Extraordinary Playscapes, we’re trying to raise $10,000 before September 30. And we have some great benefits to recognize your generosity:
- You’ll get a big thank you and multiple high-fives from all of us at — do it for the children!
- You’ll get an invite to the members-only pre-opening reception and be among the first to see the exhibition
- We’ll recognize your gift on our website in our new magazine alongside photos from Extraordinary Playscapes
- We’ll also recognize your gift in the upcoming Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition catalogue
- Plus the thank you and high-fives!
- You’ll get our special edition: Design is Everywhere t-shirt
- Free tickets to Extraordinary Playscapes events
- Plus you’ll enable us to get supplies for 10 kids to take part in our playground design workshop this summer
- And we’ll recognize your gift online, in the magazine and in the exhibit catalogue as well! And don’t forget the big thank you and pre-opening reception!
- Get a private tour of the Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition for you and a friend — you pick the date and time and we’ll walk you through the exhibition, providing insight along the way!
- And we’ll recognize your gift in the Playground Passport
- Plus the t-shirt, tickets, print recognition, and many thanks!
- Lunch with a playground design legend — you’ll get a special invite to lunch with architect and PlayCubes creator, Richard Dattner, right in the Extraordinary Playscapes exhibit on October 6.
- You’ll also get a copy of the upcoming Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition catalogue— it’s the exhibit, in book form!
- And! A private tour! Special edition t-shirt! Recognition! Tickets! Thanks!
- Enjoy an epic 1-day tour of the entire Extraordinary Playscapes experience with 2 of your friends as we tour the exhibition and visit the 5 extraordinary playscapes featured in our Portland Playground Passport. Transportation and lunch provided! I promise we’ll get to run, climb, slide, and we might even learn a thing or two along the way. : )
- Plus a once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet and enjoy lunch with Richard Dattner, a copy of the upcoming exhibit catalogue, and everything else!
- Underwrite one of our educational Beacons so we can install them around Portland at 5 playscapes including the new PlayForm 7 in front of PNCA, Harper’s Playground, Khunamokwst Park, The Fields Neighborhood Park, and Westmoreland City Park — with recognition on the Beacon itself and in our Playground Passport
- Plus all of the above!
Thank you for your generosity and support. I know you know that creating something like Extraordinary Playscapes, at this city-wide scale, takes a lot of love, time, and resources. Your support makes a huge difference for us. Thank you for making a gift!
See you on the playground!
– Sam Aquillano, Executive Director