Origami Hearts Garland
Design Activity (Ages 5+)
Learners will make an origami heart garland while exploring their emotions.
Work through the creative process while learning something new
Develop fine motor skills
Understand how to communicate with empathy and explore their feelings
Share your garland on social media with #DesignTogether and we’ll feature examples in our Design Together online gallery.
MATERIALS TO GATHER
5+ Sheets of 3”x 3” paper.
3+ Feet of string or ribbon.
1. Fold your paper in half on the diagonal.
2. Reopen your paper, fold it in half again from top
to bottom, making a cross-shaped crease.
3. Hold your paper with a point up, then fold the
top point down to the center crease.
4. Fold the bottom point to meet the top.
5. Fold the right side to meet the middle crease.
6. Fold the left side to meet the center crease.
7. Flip it over to see the beginning of your heart!
8. Fold the left and right outer corners in.
9. Fold the top points down.
10. You made a heart!
11. Place your hearts on the string.
12. Tape the folded points of your hearts to the string.
13. Hang your beautiful garland!
Name as many feelings as you can.
What does a heart symbolize to you?
How can you show empathy when your friend
or sibling is feeling sad or frustrated?
You’ve completed your project garland!
Share how it feels with your family or friend.
Ask how they feel!