Job Posted February 5, 2021
Accepting Applications until 11:59PM ET, February 26, 2021
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experience to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOs — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community-focused.
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a Marketing Contractor (contracted to 32 hours per week) for a 3 month contract from April 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021.
We seek an extremely organized person with marketing and social media experience who is comfortable working remotely and largely independently. This position reports to the Executive Director, Sam Aquillano.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 1-2 years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience. The Marketing Contractor will work to ensure basic marketing needs are fulfilled while our Director of Marketing is on leave. Marketing strategy and plans will be provided – this role relies more on executing than strategy.
- Coordinate and manage marketing related correspondence at various levels (Staff, Board, event personnel, etc) and co-marketing with partner companies
- Research, writing, posting, and monitoring social media (Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn/Instagram)
- Writing, designing, and sending e-newsletter on Mailchimp
- Project manage and track campaigns, including obtaining assets from external and internal contributors
- Tracking and inputting data related to marketing
- Has their own computer and can work remotely
- Passionate about marketing, communications, and design
- High level of polish and people skills
- Extremely organized and able to jump in on preexisting and new projects
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of online tools and software
- A creative problem solver and self-starter who can receive collaborative direction but also work independently
- Observant, curious, considerate, kind, respectful, supportive of others
- Goal-oriented, but not afraid to admit when they need help
- Is a self-starter, able to pick up parts of a project and contribute
- Is a collaborator, able to work with a team and boost its effectiveness
- Is adaptable, able to pivot and move forward with new constraints
- Is a planner, able to anticipate needs and put detailed plans in place for the future
Begin April 1, 2021
The contract is for 32 hours per week.
This position will be fully remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. Working hours must be as close to possible with our East Coast based staff.
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program) and an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks
- We ask questions and are curious
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underinvested communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.