Job posted July 19, 2021
Reviewing applications on a rolling basis
Accepting applications until 11:59PM ET, August 15, 2021
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experiences to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOs — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community- focused.
Design Museum Everywhere seeks a full-time Exhibition Manager to join our team. This position reports to the Director of Operations and collaborates with internal colleagues as well as external vendors, designers, lenders, and host venue teams. The Exhibition Manager will oversee two direct reports: the Exhibition Designer and the We Design Program Coordinator. Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 3-5 years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience.
The Exhibition Manager oversees all aspects of Design Museum’s exhibitions program from exhibition conception through venue strike-down, including schedules, logistics, budget planning and management, registration, reporting, and daily operations.
Design Museum currently offers two traveling exhibitions: Bespoke Bodies and We Design. During the pandemic, we de-prioritized new exhibitions in the near term, focusing instead on bringing exhibitions online and maturing our exhibition operations. Starting in August 2021, we will resume in-person exhibitions at partner venues and begin more regularly host pop-up exhibitions. With the addition of this role we seek to further develop our traveling exhibition program by refreshing another existing program, Extraordinary Playscapes; launch a new exhibition, Design & You; and continue to build our design exhibition portfolio.
- Manage the Design Museum exhibition program, overseeing exhibition planning, development, budget, design, fabrication, shipping, and de/installation, ensuring deadlines and goals are met.
- Act as the primary internal and external point of contact for all communications on timelines, deadlines, milestones, and resources. Work with host venues to coordinate installations and strikedowns, sometimes traveling to the venues for in-person oversight.
- Develop and and manage exhibitions schedules, clearly and consistently communicating deliverables, and anticipating and flagging potential issues. Work with Executive Director and Director of Operations on longterm planning for exhibitions.
- Budget creation, management, tracking, and reporting
- Streamline and document workflows and processes, systematizing and documenting Design Museum best practices. Codify exhibition processes and costs, optimizing for replicability
- Develop exhibition asset database and care policies
- Create, maintain, and archive all physical and digital program files and records; document final exhibition installation.
- In collaboration with the Director of Operations, monitor traveling exhibition contracts and foster productive, trusting, and positive relationships with host venue partners.
- Loan management: prepare, coordinate, and maintain loan agreements; ensure that all contractual commitments are met; regularly communicate schedule updates and any relevant information with lenders.
- Review marketing, educational, and other digital and printed material produced by traveling exhibition host venues to ensure all designers and contributors are properly credited.
- Work with the Director of Operations and Director of Marketing to create a catalog of touring exhibitions & develop a marketing plan; maintain exhibitions page on Design Museum website
- Coordinate exhibition-related publications. We are publishing a catalogue this winter based on our We Design exhibition, and the Exhibition Manager will take a lead role in shepherding the publication through the final editorial stage, to the printer, and distribution
- Manage schedules and budgets, ensuring programs and systems are being created and executed on time and within financial means
- 3-5 years relevant experience in a museum setting
- Exceptional project manager, collaborator, problem solver, and communicator—a systems thinker with a proven record of exhibition management
- Demonstrated familiarity with museums and the lifecycle of an exhibition; knowledge of exhibition, loan, and registration best practices, as well as an understanding of local and national arts communities
- Effective people manager with excellent interpersonal skills, able to work independently as well as direct a team while juggling asynchronous projects with tight schedules; experience managing external partners or contractors
- Familiarity with Google Office suite and project management tools
- Solution-oriented, decisive, and able to organize, prioritize, and delegate
- Creative, adaptive, diplomatic, proactive, and generous—a leader that rallies their team and motivates everyone to bring their best self!
- Begin ASAP
- Full-time: Monday-Friday, hours generally 9am-5pm
- We are a remote-first office, however this position will need to be able to commute to our Boston, MA office as needed for loan management and exhibition preparation, and exhibition warehouse in Braintree, MA. Travel to host venues for relationship building on exhibition installation/strikedown oversight occasionally required.
- Starting salary range: $55,000-60,000/year
- Benefits include: 401k, Paid Time Off, 14-15 paid company holidays per year, Health/Vision/Dental Insurance, Bonus program, Parental/Paid Family Sick leave
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality.
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program), and we have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years.
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly.
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks.
- We ask questions and are curious.
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall.
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underinvested communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Apply with cover letter and resume via the application portal.
Cover letter should outline/detail relevant experience.