Job posted July 19, 2021
Reviewing applications on a rolling basis
Accepting applications until 11:59PM ET, August 8, 2021
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experiences to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOs — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community- focused.
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a part-time Editorial Production Contractor to support our team. This position reports to the Executive and Creative Director, Sam Aquillano, and interacts with most staff and external contributors and community members on a regular basis. Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 1-3 years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience.
The Editorial Production Contractor supports the work of Design Museum’s team with a primary focus on quarterly issues of Design Museum Magazine, as well as the upcoming We Design book and traveling exhibitions. Time management, organizational skills, attention to detail, and excellent reading/writing/editing skills are essential to this position. The contractor should be self-motivated and passionate about storytelling and design, coupled with past experience in publication production.
- Research and write content for Design Museum’s existing programs, including copy writing, editing, and proofreading various forms of print and digital assets
- Oversee the editorial process for the quarterly magazine, including setting and maintaining the production schedule for each issue under the direction of the Executive and Creative Director
- Write articles for the quarterly magazine, either in collaboration with contributors or as a ghostwriter
- Liaise with contributors from a range of design fields; directly converse via email or zoom to ensure that contributors are aware of and up to date on the editorial process from preliminary drafting through publication
- Coordinate and communicate internally with Design Museum development, exhibitions, and graphic design teammates to ensure content is delivered in a timely manner and information is disseminated to the appropriate parties
- Work with Executive and Creative Director to secure contributors for each magazine issue
- Contribute to the development of future programs’ interpretation, including the magazine, exhibitions, and other publications
- 1-3 years relevant experience. Recent college graduates who majored in journalism are also encouraged to apply.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and organizational skills; strong grasp of grammar and ability to follow Design Museum’s style guide (primarily based on AP style)
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively and to prioritize skills to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask; comfortable managing multiple asynchronous projects simultaneously
- Organized and detail-oriented self-starter with a passion for design, education, and/or publishing
- Familiarity with Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, and Google Suite
- Contractor must provide their own work computer
- Six-month contract beginning mid-August
- 32 hours per week
- Hourly rate: $20/hour
- This position can report from anywhere in the U.S. but working hours must overlap substantially with a primarily East Coast based team.
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality.
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program), and we have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years.
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly.
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks.
- We ask questions and are curious.
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall.
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underinvested communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Apply with cover letter and resume via the application portal.
Cover letter should outline/detail relevant experience.