Job Posted February 5, 2021
Accepting Applications until 11:59PM ET, February 21, 2021
Design Museum Everywhere is in a pivotal moment of growth, poised to add multiple new positions to the team. We’re hiring 3 new director level positions—please apply to the one that is best suited for your experience and goals. Read about the other positions at www.designmuseumfoundation.org/careers
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experience to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOs — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community-focused.
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a full-time Director of Operations to join our growing team.
We seek a skillful people and operations leader to oversee all aspects of Design Museum’s operations. This pivotal role will ensure everyone on our team is engaged and performing through strategic human resources and streamlined, efficient operations and systems. This role will work continually to ensure a culture of belonging, so all employees can do their best work.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Sam Aquillano, and interacts with all staff, Board members, and other external community members on a regular basis.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 7+ years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience.
Oversee and bolster critical elements of Design Museum: Finance, Staff/HR, Board/Council Operations, and Organization Operations including:
- Work closely with Executive Director to set strategic priorities for the organization
- Manage schedules and budgets, ensuring programs and systems are being created and executed on time and within financial means
- Design and implement key operations processes using best practices to utilize our capacity most efficiently and generate long-term stability in our operations
- Provide staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence regarding all matters of operations and be available to support staff as needed, maintaining safe and high-functioning work environments across the organization
- Manage logistical and contract elements of major programs, i.e. touring exhibitions, in collaboration with Director of Learning and Interpretation
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates staff progress against goals for the organization
- Manage Board & Council operations in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Assist in evaluating and procuring insurance policies for the organization
- Manage annual budgeting process in collaboration with Executive Director, Director of Development, and other Design Museum staff
- Manage annual audit, all legal filings, and year-end 501c3 reporting
- Provide ongoing financial reporting and analysis to the Board of Directors
- Oversee human resource needs such as ensuring timely reviews, competitive benefits and organizational development in accordance with our goals, budget, and development
- Passionate about operations, organization, and helping others
- 7+ years of leadership and operational management experience, preferably in nonprofits
- Demonstrated experience scaling organizations in a leadership position
- Eagerness to work closely with staff to help develop their skills and achieve their career goals in line with organizational goals
- Budget planning, monitoring, and reporting skills
- Experience working with and reporting to stakeholders
- Proven track record implementing and managing information infrastructure, designing and rolling out policies, systems, structures, and guidelines
- Ability to analyze key metrics and data trends to guide organizational decisions
- Interest in design and the power design has to transform!
Full-time: Monday-Friday, hours generally 9am-5pm
This position will need to be able to commute to our Boston office as soon as the latest guidelines deem in-office work fully safe. We have recently transitioned to remote-first work, however the nature of this position will require various days in the office when Covid-19 is no longer a threat.
Starting salary range: $70,000-$80,000/year
- Benefits include: 401k, Paid Time Off, 14-15 paid company holidays per year, Health/Vision/and Dental Insurance, Bonus program, Parental/Paid Family Sick leave
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program) and an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks
- We ask questions and are curious
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underinvested communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.