*Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experience to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOS — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community-focused.
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a full-time Director of Marketing to lead our strategic communications and marketing efforts in service of our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We seek to become the premier, accessible source for design impact thought leadership — thus we’re searching for a marketing leader who can increase public awareness of the Design Museum, grow our audience, and link these efforts to revenue opportunities that in turn fund our mission.
The Director of Marketing will report to the Executive Director and will work closely with our Vice President on matters relating to development. Together, the Executive Director, Vice President, and Director of Marketing represent the operational leadership of the Design Museum. This position is supported by a Board-level Marketing & Communications committee of experts. Staff resources supporting this position include a full-time Graphic Designer and 1-2 interns per semester.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, design, or related field, with 4-6 years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience, including at least one year in a marketing leadership role within an organization. They’ll have experience developing and executing an effective marketing strategy including digital marketing, storytelling, and audience engagement.
- Lead Design Museum’s strategic marketing and communications efforts to grow brand visibility among our audience and funders
- Develop and implement an overall marketing strategy for institutional marketing as well as programmatic marketing that relates to public programs, content, and media — it should all connect to business objectives and revenue opportunities
- Recruit and manage marketing interns, apprentices, and eventually staff
- Manage the marketing budget to stay within spending parameters and ensure marketing dollars are assisting in generating additional revenue
- Identify and manage outside vendors, agencies, consultants, freelancers, etc. including defining scope, negotiating contracts, and measuring performance
- Amplify our digital marketing strategy, including managing, developing, and executing elements on social media, retargeting, web, e-newsletter, blog, and other platforms
- Leverage our new CRM and Marketing Automation system to test and track success, including reporting on key metrics
- Serve as a Design Museum spokesperson as needed
- Ensure brand, design, and messaging consistency across all marketing and communication channels and elements while creating and/or art-directing the creation of materials and collateral (in collaboration with Graphic Designer)
- Align marketing strategies with Design Museum’s strategic plan
- Develop and execute a media strategy to increase coverage, including on social media and other digital/print platforms
- Lead market research to better understand Design Museum’s audience and supporter base
- Marketing leadership skills, including able to work with executive leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills: listening, public speaking, oral and written communication
- Adaptable and patient, able to work with little direction, and follow-through towards goals and objectives
- A creative problem solver with a passion for design and sharing the work of Design Museum
- A self-starter who can receive collaborative direction but also work independently
- An efficient and detail-oriented worker producing quality work on both short and long term projects
- Observant, curious, friendly, kind, respectful, supportive of others
- Goal-oriented, but not afraid to admit when they need help
- Design and Adobe Creative Suite knowledge a plus
- Begin ASAP
- Full-time: Monday-Friday
- Fully remote position — can live anywhere in the world, but must keep relatively close to Eastern timezone hours. Note we do have offices in Boston, MA and Portland, OR, but have recently transitioned to remote-first work
- Starting salary range: $60,000-$70,000/year — note, at this salary range the Director of Marketing will be the third highest paid staff person at the museum
- Benefits include: 401k, Paid Time Off, 14-15 paid holidays per year, Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance, Bonus program, Parental/Paid Family Sick leave
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program) and an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks
- We ask questions and are curious
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Email cover letter, resume, and work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letter should outline/detail relevant experience.