Job Posted February 5, 2021
Accepting Applications until 11:59PM ET, March 21, 2021
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED
Design Museum Everywhere is in a pivotal moment of growth, poised to add multiple new positions to the team. We’re hiring 3 new director level positions—please apply to the one that is best suited for your experience and goals. Read about the other positions at www.designmuseumfoundation.org/careers
About Design Museum Everywhere
Design Museum Everywhere is a new kind of museum: online, nomadic, and accessible to all. Instead of a single museum location, we pop-up in places where people already go, and produce high-quality media experience to support our mission to bring the transformative power of design everywhere. We believe design can change the world; done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make businesses more competitive, and protect our environment. We inspire people by showing what’s possible through public exhibitions and events, as well as our magazine, podcast, and online content. We educate people — from kids to CEOs — to become creative problem solvers using the design process. And we transform, using design to take action and make change, demonstrating its impact.
Our vision: Accessibility: Design is for everyone. Design is everywhere, so are we. We’re online and we pop-up in places all over to engage as many people as possible. And we’re committed to improving the gender and racial diversity of the design field. Improvement: Design solves problems. We are entrepreneurial and flexible, we are not constrained by existing approaches, we start with real-world problems and we’re committed to using design for the greater good. Community: Design is collaborative. We are a participatory museum, meaning there are many ways for individuals to not only enjoy our programming and content, but to be part of it as well. We’re collaborative and community-focused.
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a full-time Director of Design Thought Leadership to join our team. We seek an experienced and passionate community manager-meets-facilitator-meets-distinguished-design-thinker for the role. This is a one-of-a-kind and unique career opportunity. At many museums, this role would be most similar to “Chief Curator,” however at Design Museum, we don’t practice the model of one singular expert. The Director of Design Thought Leadership will activate a network of thought leaders to identify and engage them within multiple programmatic and content-based work at the Design Museum — in affect, bridging their thought leadership into the offerings of the museum.
You might be the right person for the job if you’ve researched design in a team environment, managed communities, organized campaigns or large community efforts, worked in journalism or a fast paced media outlet, approached design academically, managed content for a design related company, etc. There is a lot of experience that can contribute to success in this unique role.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Sam Aquillano, and interacts with other staff, community members, and external contributors on a daily basis.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 5+ years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience.
- Lead the process to build out and recruit for our Think Tanks, groups of thought leaders who advise the museum and generate programming and content across our 12 Impact Areas: Vibrant Cities, Workplace Innovation, Education, Play, Data Visualization, Business, Social Impact, Sustainability, Healthcare, Entrepreneurship, Diversity, and Civic Innovation
- Channel and facilitate the funnel of ideas to programs in Design Museum, including:
- Design is Everywhere Podcast
- Design Museum Magazine
- And other content opportunities
- Identify, reach out, engage, and maintain relationships with individuals and organizations that believe in the power of design to transform
- Co-create and contribute with our internal exhibitions team on exhibition research and development, including our forthcoming permanent exhibition on design impact
- Produce thought leadership gatherings and events in collaboration with Think Tank members — mostly virtual
- Design and manage all elements of the Design Museum Summit, a yearly design convening with talks, workshops, demonstrations covering all 12 Design Impact Areas
- Develop and manage a future Design Museum’s Awards program
- A passion for design and community that is contagious
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Demonstrated people and project management skills with the ability to independently manage complex, multifaceted projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking
- Strong interpersonal skills—you’ll be community organizing; building and maintaining Design Museum relationships
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
Full-time: Monday-Friday, hours generally 9am-5pm
This position can be located anywhere in the U.S. but a substantial number of working hours needs to overlap with a largely East Coast based team.
Starting salary range: $50,000-$60,000/year
- Benefits include: 401k, Paid Time Off, 14-15 paid company holidays per year, Health/Vision/and Dental Insurance, Bonus program, Parental/Paid Family Sick leave
- We work in a collaborative team environment with a non-profit-meets-startup mentality
- Our jobs are full time, with public programs sometimes happening in the morning, evening, and weekend (we have a comp day program) and an all-hands-on-deck attitude
- Pre-COVID we ate lunch together as a team every day, now we do Zoom happy hours, and even while remote, (and depending on COVID-19) we plan to get together in person a few times per year, including for a week-long annual retreat, which we’ve done the past 4 years
- We are all creative problem solvers, even on-the-fly
- Ownership, autonomy, and initiative — we anticipate future needs/tasks
- We ask questions and are curious
- We all want to see the Design Museum succeed, and this means participating and caring about our mission, content, and design overall
- We’re flexible! Things in our environment change quickly, we roll with the challenges
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We especially encourage members of historically underinvested communities to apply, including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.