The Future of Construction
A webinar series + design challenge for high school students
Interested in submitting a design? Learn more about Future of Construction and see more student designs.
Challenge submissions can be entered on a rolling basis!
Submissions received by the 15th of the month will be featured by the 30th of that month.
Thank you for supporting your student(s) in participating in the Future of Construction webinar and design challenge. By engaging your students in this process, they will have the opportunity to play an active role in rethinking their own communities. Through this form, you will be able to submit links to student work, and any text students drafted to further help explain their work. During the webinar, we shared two design challenges:
- Create a model that shows how you would address an issue of environmental justice in your neighborhood or community.
- Create a model that shows how you would address an issue of social justice through architecture.
For both challenges, we encouraged students to explain how their design solves the problem they chose through images, words, numbers, a 3D digital model, and/or a physical model. We also encourage students to write short Design Briefs to further explain their designs. Your students can answer any of the following questions, or write freely, in 250 words or less.
- Can you explain your design? What do you think is most creative or interesting about your design?
- Did you run into any challenges or difficulties in creating your design? Did your thinking change as you worked through these challenges?
- How did you try to incorporate the needs and goals of the people who would be impacted by your design? What do you hope the impact would be for users?
We are asking educators and caregivers to share student work by filling out this form. When you submit student work through this form, students’ designs will be added to a “virtual exhibit” of students’ designs being curated by Design Museum Everywhere, giving students a platform to broadly share their ideas for a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable city. Please note that we cannot share any images that include faces or identifiable characteristics of people, or that might include names that would identify individuals and all submissions must be completed by adults over the age of 18.
You can also connect with other innovative educators and share your progress on social media, using the hashtag: #MakeItGreenBoston and tag @designmuseumeverywhere We can’t wait to see what you and your students create! Good luck!!!