Duration: January-May 2020 (Start and end dates are flexible)
Compensation: School Credit, Membership
Location: 100 Summer Street, Boston
Time: 20+ hours/week
Position Duties & Description:
Design Museum seeks an Exhibition Development Intern to assist in the research, content development, and production tasks for the museum’s national exhibitions. The intern will be responsible for developing research and content for our next major exhibition, assisting with the curation, and coordinating with contributors, staff, and graphic designers to develop exhibit assets. Time management, organizational skills, and excellent reading/writing/editing skills are essential to this position. The intern should be self-motivated and passionate intern who loves storytelling and wants to gain more exhibition and research experience.
The Intern will:
• Research, write, and edit exhibition content and related materials
• Work directly with our Exhibition Manager to develop exhibition content through researching, selecting stories and targeted outreach, developing themes and graphics, collecting content and contributors, managing loans, and organizing digital and written content
• Assist in developing organizational systems and exhibition design for traveling shows
Qualified applicants will have/be:
• Organized and detail oriented with great interpersonal & communication skills
• Passion for design, curation, museum education, and/or publishing
• Self-starter with a strong work ethic and attention to detail
• Comfortable managing multiple projects simultaneously
• Familiarity of Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, and spreadsheets
• Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
• Hard worker, able to contribute under uncertainty, and learn while doing
• Graphic design skills are a plus!
Must be available 20+ hours per week during Tuesday – Friday, on-site at Design Museum Foundation’s office in Downtown Boston. Applicants must use their own computer.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and any other relevant materials to Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Design Museum:
Design Museum Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit museum headquartered in Boston, MA with additional branches in Portland, OR and San Francisco, CA — and a vision to establish branches in other major cities around the U.S. At Design Museum Boston we believe design can change the world. Done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make business more competitive, and protect our environment. Design awareness, education, and expertise are more important now than ever before as design continues to impact communities, organizations, and markets around the world. We’re redefining what it means to be a museum in the 21st century — we are online, nomadic, and accessible to all through a collection of exhibitions, events, and content. Design is everywhere. So are we. Our mission: bring the transformative power of design everywhere, to inspire a world full of creative problem solvers by producing inspiring exhibitions and events, educating everyone from kids to CEOs in design thinking, and transforming cities and communities through innovative public demonstration projects.