Duration: January-May 2020 (Start and end dates are flexible)
Compensation: School Credit, Membership
Location: 100 Summer Street, Boston
Time: 20+ hours/week
Position Duties & Description:
Design Museum seeks an Education Intern to assist in the coordination and development of our youth and adult programming. The intern will be responsible for coordinating and communicating with partners, staff, and contractors to ensure effective program delivery. This position will also assist in pedagogical and market research, program evaluation, curriculum writing, and prototyping. Time management, organizational skills, and excellent reading/writing/editing skills are essential to this position. The intern should be a self-motivated and passionate person who loves learning as much as they love teaching.
The Intern will:
- Help coordinate and evaluate our newest youth program, Neighborhood Design Project
- Play an integral role in the development of future adult and youth programs
- Design and teach a one hour interactive guided visit of our We Design exhibition
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative research throughout the semester to learn about museum education theory and practice
Qualified applicants will have/be:
- Experience teaching and/or programming in formal or informal learning environments
- Familiarity with design or making
- Investment in working with diverse audiences and supporting our mission
- Experience productively collaborating and communicating with a team
- Experience balancing academic and logistical responsibilities over the course of a workday
- Ability to manage time effectively, including prioritizing tasks, maintaining calendars, and balancing academic and logistical responsibilities
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, actively move for up to 2.5 hours at a time, and spend periods of time interacting with participants who are spread across a large area.
- Comfortable managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Passion for design, education, and/or publishing
- Organized and detail oriented with good interpersonal & communication skills
- Familiarity of Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite, and spreadsheets
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Hard worker, able to contribute under uncertainty, and learn while doing
- Have their own computer
Must be available 20+ hours per week during Tuesday – Friday, on-site at Design Museum Foundation’s office in Downtown Boston.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and any other relevant materials to Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Design Museum:
Design Museum Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit museum headquartered in Boston, MA with additional branches in Portland, OR and San Francisco, CA — and a vision to establish branches in other major cities around the U.S. At Design Museum Boston we believe design can change the world. Done well, it can elevate our quality of life, make business more competitive, and protect our environment. Design awareness, education, and expertise are more important now than ever before as design continues to impact communities, organizations, and markets around the world. We’re redefining what it means to be a museum in the 21st century — we are online, nomadic, and accessible to all through a collection of exhibitions, events, and content. Design is everywhere. So are we. Our mission: bring the transformative power of design everywhere, to inspire a world full of creative problem solvers by producing inspiring exhibitions and events, educating everyone from kids to CEOs in design thinking, and transforming cities and communities through innovative public demonstration projects.