I write this on the cusp of our biggest summer ever at Design Museum Boston — it’s focused on 2 things I know you and I care deeply about: play and our great city.
Yes, that’s me in the photo, playing outside at age 4. And me again, from yesterday, playing on our newest outdoor installation, PlayCubes, on the Greenway. I was so lucky to have a childhood filled with outdoor play, imagination, and adventure. I know those experiences shaped me into the designer and entrepreneurial risk-taker I am today.
The world has changed but the importance of outdoor play hasn’t. That’s why we created our latest exhibition: Extraordinary Playscapes — you’re going to love it. It’s the culmination of 3 years of research and development. Not only is it a world-class exhibition, it’s 2 new playgrounds in Boston, thought leadership events, a Greater Boston Playground Passport, and design workshops for kids. In true Design Museum fashion, we’re creating a city-wide celebration of design and play.
I’m asking for your help to make it a huge success. We can’t do this work without you! Help us transform Boston, inspire creativity, and promote outdoor play, all by design. Please consider a gift to our Annual Fund — we have some great benefits to recognize your generosity:
- I’ll personally give you a hug (and we’ll Instagram it #DMPlay) and we can play on PlayCubes along with thousands of Bostonians — do it for the children!
- We’ll recognize your gift in our new magazine alongside photos from Extraordinary Playscapes and our new playgrounds
- We’ll also recognize your gift in the upcoming Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition catalogue
- Plus the hug, plus the playing!
- You’ll get our special edition: Design is Everywhere t-shirt
- Plus you’ll enable us to get supplies for 10 kids to take part in our playground design workshop this summer
- And we’ll recognize your gift in the magazine and exhibit catalogue as well! And don’t forget the hug!
- Get a private tour of the Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition for you and a friend — you pick the date and time and our exhibit curator will walk you through the exhibition, providing insight along the way!
- Plus the t-shirt, print recognition, and a big Instagram hug.
- Lunch with a playground design legend — you’ll get a special invite to lunch with architect and PlayCubes creator Richard Dattner right in the Extraordinary Playscapes exhibit on June 9. Space is limited, be sure to give by June 3 to reserve your spot.
- You’ll also get a copy of the upcoming Extraordinary Playscapes exhibition catalogue— it’s the exhibit, in book form!
- And! A private tour! Special edition t-shirt! Recognition in print! Hug!
- Enjoy an epic 1-day tour of the entire Extraordinary Playscapes experience with 2 of your friends and me as we tour the exhibition and visit the 6 extraordinary playscapes featured in our Greater Boston Playground Passport. Transportation and lunch provided! I promise we’ll get to run, climb, slide, and we might even learn a thing or two along the way. : )
- Plus a once-in-a-lifetime chance to meet and enjoy lunch with Richard Dattner, a copy of the upcoming exhibit catalogue, and everything else!
Thank you for your generosity and support. I know you know that creating something like Extraordinary Playscapes, at this city-wide scale, takes a lot of love, time, and resources. Your support makes a huge difference for us. Thank you for making a gift!
See you on the playground!
– Sam Aquillano, Executive Director