How Design Transformed a School
Episode 042 • 45 min
How does the design of a space lead to success in educational settings?
In this episode, Sam is joined by Taryn Kinney, a Principal at DLR Group, to learn how space can influence a student’s educational success. What are the different phases of learning? And how can space affect those phases? Taryn brings her architecture background and education in Organizational Psychology to make the design of schools better for the student and the educator. Later on in the show, they are joined by Phillip Nowlin, Principal at Canyon View High School, to learn how he and Taryn collaborated to make the design of Canyon View High School. Phillip describes the look, feel, and energy of Canyon View High School and how educators can use design to make a difference in learning.
Weekly Dose of Good Design
- School tour: Canyon View High School
- Project: Canyon View High School
- Interview: SXSW 2019 with Phillip Nowlin and Taryn Kinney
- Psychology of Behavior: Kurt Lewin Formula
- Project: Richard J Lee Elementary School
- Research: The Design Process and Functionality of an Innovative School
- Resource: BOLD: Bringing Organizational Systems to K-12 School Design
- Interview: BOLD initiative